Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 13:35:34 -0400
From:      "Gerald T. Freymann" <freymann@eagle.ca>
To:        "Wayne Pascoe" <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: TCP/IP Subnetting

> I have a /25 IP range that I need to subnet. I need to give 4
> addresses to one network and the remaining addresses to the other
> network.

 But you also must remain in the proper boundaries of subnetting. You may
find you can't split it exactly as you want, but at least something close.

 If you have a look here:

    http://www.again.net/cidr

 You want a 4 useable IP subnet... but it shows 2, 6 and 14.

Network A:
Network Address: 192.168.1.128
Broadcast Address: 192.168.1.135
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255.248
Range: 192.168.1.129 - 192.168.1.134 (6 useable Addresses)

Network B:
Network Address: 192.168.1.136
Broadcast Address: 192.168.1.255
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.136
Range: 192.168.1.137 - 192.168.1.254 (118 useable Addresses)

But how much you wanna bet a subnet of 255.255.255.136 is invalid? I dunno.
When subnetting there have areas where I thought hey, I can just split it
here, and there, using variable length subnet masks, but when I go to the
router to enter it, it whines.

My guess is you'll likely have to stick with the CIDR prefix lengths.
Possibly splitting your half a Class C into 3 or 4 pieces. Just a wild,
wild guess.

-gf