Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 11:03:14 -0700
From:      "Mike O'Brien" <obrien@rush.aero.org>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apple Newton MessagePad

	I have a MessagePad 2000 and I love it.  I think that the
high-end Newtons and the PalmPilot have mildly overlapping markets,
but both have large areas where the other doesn't compete.  The 2K
is really a full-fledged computer with a weird operational style.
It's not a notebook and it doesn't do what a Notebook would do, but
it can compute with the best of them.  It serves me well as a general
engine that I can carry around easily, and it also does me as a
nice-sized notepad.  It does everything for me that a PalmPilot would,
though it does it mildly less gracefully and with a much larger form
factor.  But, for instance, it also has all sorts of other packages
available for it, including one special-purpose number for data
collection on geysers, a favorite subject of mine.

	The PalmPilot's job is to do a few portable things well, and
be really really portable. Period.  It does this brilliantly, and this
is what most people prefer, so PalmPilot outsells Newton at least
10-to-1, maybe 100-to-1.  I have no complaints.

	Well, one.  Apple and their (^(*&^*(& closed architecture.  They
publish (binary) libraries to allow people to write applications for
Windows and the Mac that interface to a Newton.  However, if you're on
a UNIX box, forget it.  Someone's managed to reverse-engineer enough to
get a package installer working under Linux but that's about it.

	Boy, if I had the Connection Utilities and a programming library
under FreeBSD, I'd be a happy man.  One more reason not to run Windows.

Mike O'Brien