Date:      Tue, 07 Nov 2017 08:38:56 -0500
From:      Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>
To:        Christian Kujau <lists@nerdbynature.de>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Need help with rc.d script

Christian Kujau wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Nov 2017, Ernie Luzar wrote:
>> I wrote this sh script today for dynamic dns ip updates.
>
> Why not use one of the many scripts that already exist do do that? Since you're
> using namecheap:
>
>  | Are there any alternate Dynamic DNS clients?
>  | https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/5/11/

I have been using ddclient and it has problem that causes a
watchdog timeout followed by the NIC being reset with down/up many times
a hour.
All those other dynamic DNS ports are way over complicated for such a
simple task.

I wrote this KISS script so I can have complete control of this very
simple process.

>> When I use service dynip start command it just hangs there.
>
> Try running it with "set -x" to see where it hangs.
>
>  | https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bourne_Shell_Scripting/Debugging_and_signal_handling

Entering set -x [script name] on the command line is really a trace of
the commands in the script as they execute. This is no help as already
know the endless loop is what is keeping it connected to the terminal
that issued the execute command. Was hoping the rc.d service script
would break that and is reason I was asking for help with that script as
the subject states.

Thanks anyhow for taking time to answer.