Date:      24 Jan 1998 05:58:58 -0800
From:      Christoph Toshok <toshok@Hungry.COM>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Free netscape - good or bad ?

mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith) writes:

> > I think it's a good move for Netscape.  And to keep this somewhat
> > relevent to the hackers mailing list, it will be certainly a good
> > move for netscape on FreeBSD...   :-)
>
> What *I'd* like to see/hear would be some commentary from the people
> inside Netscape that are responsible for the current port.

I responded to mike alone, accidentally, instead of the entire list.

I alone am entirely to blame for the fact that there is a freebsd
port.  Well, me and the release guy that was kind enough to add it
to the release builds :)

> Given any sort of say in the matter, I would be asking them to take a
> fairly active guiding role' as they are in an extremely important
> bridging position.

I must admit a fair amount of ignorance.  You see, the news was sprung
on me (as it was on everyone at netscape that even *knew*) not long
the press release was made.  Most of us are just as much in the dark
as you are.

One thing I *can* tell you is that the XFE people have long been
working to release some sections of the navigator code (specifically
the XFE widget library) for free.  There is no shortage of people that
want the same thing as you all.  Now it's just a matter of convincing
those people that will make the decision :)

I'm more than willing to beat up on netscape people who are leaning
towards a more restrictive license than the GPL.  If any of you have
contact with such people from, let me know.  I'll be on the look out
for them as well.

Thanks,
Chris