Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:25:54 -0800
From:      brian@worldcontrol.com
To:        Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reclaiming irqs for unsupported PCI hardware?

On Tue, Jan 19, 1999 at 05:05:28PM -0800, Nick Sayer wrote:
> My laptop is basically out of IRQs. Windows seems to manage this
> by bridging PCI devices together on a single IRQ.
>
> While I am writing, why is it necessary for the PCCARD controller
> to use an IRQ? It only generates them at slot events, which happen,
> what, every few _hours_ or so? Can't they be polled? IRQs are
> precious in modern x86 machines (unfortunately).

I cried similarly, and made a similar complaint about PCCARD
services.  The response was nada.

What laptop do you have?

I'm close to modifying the system myself to eliminate the IRQ
for insertion.

I have a further complication that when the PCCARD interrupt service
routine tries to handle my modem card insertion the system freezes,
however, if it is not done via the interrupt routine (card inserted
before power on) it works fine.  Other cards work correctly via
insertion.

The main thing that keeps me from doing so, is such changes will never
be imported into FreeBSD unless the people with the power agree.

I've got a pile of patches I have to apply after every sup in order
to keep things working propertly on my hardware. 8-(

--
Brian Litzinger <brian@litzinger.com>