Date:      Sun, 10 Feb 2008 10:57:42 -0800
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        Da Rock <rock_on_the_web@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Caldav calendar server for freebsd

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 14:28:39 GMT Da Rock <rock_on_the_web@hotmail.com>  wrote:

> Hi guys. This may be old news, but I'm looking for a calendar server for fr=
> eebsd. I've searched the ports but found nothing suitable (I'm having an is=
> sue with webcalendar which I've posted on their forums, plus I'm not sure i=
> t's what I'm after- keep reading to find out why), and I've trawled the net=
> .
>
> I need some functions which are a must:
>
> 1. web accessible (duh :))
> 2. evolution accessible
> 3. evolution postable
> 4. multi-user
>
> I have seen a few, but I'm not sure whether they will work on freebsd, and =
> as I am using a production mc I'm a little hesitant to test this. It seems =
> most caldav servers revolve around java, and the php davical is only made o=
> n debian (although being php it should work?).
>
> I'm considering building my own, but it appears that caldav is the way to g=
> o anyway. My only other alternative then is to figure out the evolution pro=
> blem of posting to webcal's, in which case I'll go and bug the guys at gnom=
> e evolution.... :) (that and a whole bunch of other problems I'm working on=
> - yay!)

Supposedly Darwin Calendar Server (caldavd) has been ported
to FreeBSD.

I don't use evolution so no idea if this will work for you
but I use apache + webDAV and that seems to work fine with
sunbird & iCal for multiple users.

If I was setting this up today I'd probably just go with
Google Calendar.  It is web accessible as well as via iCal
and sunbird/lightning etc.  Unless you have a real itch to
scratch, it is not worth spending time on building your own.
Why not spend that time doing something new & exciting?;-)