Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 13:10:06 -0600
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@cec.wustl.edu>
To:        hawk <hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vim highlighting in a regular xterm?

I wasn't aware that vim handled code indent, it never worked for me in
C. However, it does support syntax coloring. You must enable this (I
think it is by default) and set the TERM environment variable to
xterm-color (or cons25, or some other color-capable terminal). Check to
see if it works in a standard terminal first; if it doesn't, then you
have a configuration problem with vim.

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 01:34:05PM -0500, hawk wrote:

> It's about time to start coding again, and I've been poking at vim.
>
> Looks like I don't need to write my own f90 syntax file this time
> (hmm, I sent mine in and got no response.  Maybe this *is* mine :)
>
> Anyway, I'm tring to get it to do colored syntax highlighting in a
> regular xterm.  I know about gvim (so I know it  works :), but
> I'd rather stay on with my xterminals (or some enhanced xterminal :).
> That line of buttons on the top of gvim . . . it's a slippery slope :)
>
> So just what do I set?  And while I'm picking someone's brains, how
> do I tell it to automatically indent my fortran?  I've tried looking
> into that before, but get lost in the c-stuff (which it apparently
> does).  I just want to set a 3 space indent at each level.  Last
> time I ended up loading into emacs, ^k'ing the entire file, then
> yanking it back when i needed to adjust indentation.  (and like any
> dealings with that heretical thing, it leaves you feeling dirty :)
>
> hawk

Andrew Hesford
ajh3@cec.wustl.edu