Date:      Fri, 7 Sep 2007 10:43:03 -0700
From:      "Darren Spruell" <phatbuckett@gmail.com>
To:        "Derek Ragona" <derek@computinginnovations.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nvidia-driver rebooting machine on X startup

On 9/6/07, Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com> wrote:

>  At 03:10 PM 9/6/2007, Darren Spruell wrote:
>
> Wondering if this is a known issue, or if anyone has suggestions to
>  get it working...?
>
>  Running FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p4 SMP i386.
>
>  I installed nvidia-driver-100.14.11 from ports (Sep. 5 snapshot),
>  Linux compatibility enabled. After loading modules 'linux' and
>  'nvidia', I do:
>
>  # X -configure
>  # X -config /root/xorg.conf.new
>
>  At this point the system spontaneously reboots. 'X -configure' runs
>  fine and produces a configuration without issue, but the reboot
>  occcurs when launching X. Nothing is output to screen (it flickers as
>  if starting X), and nothing is written to /var/log/Xorg.0.log. I do
>  get the same behavior if running 'xorgcfg'.
>
>  Card info:
>
>  "NV41 [Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI] rev 162"
>
>  nvidia0@pci7:0:0: class=0x030000 card=0x029b10de chip=0x00cd10de
>  rev=0xa2 hdr=0x00
>      vendor   = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
>      class    = display
>      subclass = VGA
>
>  I've tried an alternate version of the binary driver
>  (nvidia-driver-96xx) to see if there was any change, and it also
>  reboots on X startup.

>  --
>  Check your AGP settings and consult the readme, chapter 9, for the latest
> driver.  You should be running the latest driver with your card.
>
>  Make sure you have the correct AGP settings, either letting FreeBSD do it
> in the kernel or disable the kernel and let the Nvidia driver manage it.

So, I'm not having terrific luck with any combination of settings I try.

The latest FreeBSD driver release from Nvidia is the same as the
version in the ports tree. This is what I've installed.

Attempting the AGPGART route (building the driver with
"WITH_FREEBSD_AGP=yes" and disabling NvAgp support in xorg.conf) still
results in a reboot.

Going the NvAGP route (Building without support for AGPGART, setting
NvAgp to 1 in the xorg.conf, and setting hint.agp.0.disabled=1 in
/boot/device.hints) also results in a reboot when X starts. One thing
I notice here; when I specify hint.agp.0.disabled=1, and check the
output of 'kldstat -v' after booting, I still see several agp drivers
loaded:

$ kldstat -v |grep -i agp
                387 pci/agp_ali
                388 pci/agp_amd
                389 pci/agp_amd64
                390 pci/agp_ati
                391 pci/agp_i810
                392 pci/agp_intel
                393 pci/agp_nvidia
                394 pci/agp_sis
                395 pci/agp_via

Is this a problem?

I suspect a couple of problems with what I'm doing. Number one,
there's several knobs to turn (in the driver, in the OS, etc.) and
it's possible I'm not getting the correct combination. Other thing is,
I've been told by a technician that this is a PCI Express video card,
so would AGP even come into play?

DS