Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 13:22:44 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        brian@awfulhak.org (Brian Somers)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, brian@awfulhak.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: date(1)

Brian Somers stands accused of saying:

> > Actually, -r is redundant, as +%s will do the same thing.
>
> Not true.  -r takes a ``seconds'' arg, and uses that instead of
> calling time().  It's a non-setting input value.

Oops, sorry about that.

> I can get -r to use strtol(), but do we want to do things the other
> way too ?  Do we want to be able to output hex too (ie, a change to
> strftime(3) - pity %x is gone...) ?

On reflection, probably not.  Anyone that needs hex can get it with
printf(1) already.

> > On further thought, an alternative approach would be to use the new
> > strptime() function and take a format string for scanning the time,
> > much as it takes now for formatting the output.
>
> This would allow us to change (say) the current month without touching
> the time..... how new is "strptime" ?  It ain't on my machine (supped
> 1.5 hours ago).

Uhh.  Perhaps it didn't get committed; it should have.  Chase the -hackers
mailing list for the perp who had it ready.  I do think it is a better
way to go than having a whole bag of new flags.