Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 18:44:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Sung Nae Cho <sucho2@quasar.phys.vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Softupdate, is it better than journaling file system?

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Sung Nae Cho wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there is a real perferomance comparison between
> softupdates and journaling file systems available for Linux systems.  One
> thing I still don't like about FreeBSD is the file (copying, deleting,
> extracting... etc) system performance.  Linux seems to be much faster in
> (copying, deleting, extracting.....) files than FreeBSD even with "async"
> option enabled in fstab.  How good is softupdates compared to those
> already maturing journaling file systems available to Linux?

  Journalling file systems by their nature, are very disk intensive.
Updates go to the journal first, and are then written to the disk.  Quite
often the journal becomes a bottleneck.  Very often metadata updates are
slower on journalled file systems than on non-journalled systems.

  Async mounts, and softupdate mounts (softupdate is safer) should be
similar performance to Linux, but make sure all your disk options are
turned on too.  Disk write-cache and other things can give you a lot more
performance, at the risk of safety.  Neither async mounts, or softupdates
are journalled filesystems.

  As others have mentioned, this is old news.

Tom