Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 2002 16:27:04 -0700
From:      "Aaron Burke" <aburke@nullplusone.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   WINS service over a Point to Point link.

Hello List,
	I have a question about how I can get WINS to run over a
PLIP link. The service does run fine over my two ethernet networks.
However, when WINS (run via Samba) tries to determine if there is
WINS service running on the lp0 (Parrallel Point-to-Point
connection) it fails on the broadcast. There is no 192.168.2.255
broadcast address available to send packets to.

	I am under the assumption that because there is no way to
determine if a WINS server is allready running on that interface.
Because no WINS server can be contacted, WINS is forced to fail
to announce that it becomes the WINS server on that interface.

	Is there any way to add a reference to "bravo (192.168.2.2)"
to the WINS tables?

If I have forgotten to mention anything, please let me know.

Aaron Burke
aburke@nullplusone.com