Date:      Mon, 06 Nov 2000 13:21:42 +0000
From:      Antony T Curtis <antony@abacus.co.uk>
To:        Michel TALON <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Supporting "winmodems" (was: PCI Modems Not Shown As Supported  Hardware)

Michel TALON wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 05, 2000 at 09:20:46PM -0800, Anthony wrote:
> > Check out the site, if you like: http://linmodems.org/
> >

> There is support for Lucent winmodems in Linux. However, this requires a
> fairly big linux kernel module, that has been written by Lucent themselves.
> The modem worked well under RedHat 6.2, but as soon as you upgrade to
> RedHat 7.0 you are stuck. The eternal problem of binary only drivers.
> Since Lucent do not release the source code, and since it is a very
> complicated code, i think there is no hope to get a FreeBSD driver soon.

Some people appear to be working on developing an open-source Lucent
driver. I have counted at least 4 independent efforts: Some duplicate
the work of others, some have developed further in some areas than
others but none of them are fully functional.

> The modularized modern kernels are a good thing, but this allows to release
> binary only kernel modules. This is a plague which generalizes fast. For
> example you have the binary only driver for nVidia video cards and
> XFree 4 which at present, runs only in Linux.

And I thought the whole concept behind the XFree86-4 driver architecture
is for platform neutral x86 drivers...

--
ANTONY T CURTIS                     Tel: +44 (1635) 36222
Abacus Polar Holdings Ltd           Fax: +44 (1635) 38670