Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:12:10 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Doug Hass" <dhass@imagestream.com>
Cc:        "Leo Bicknell" <bicknell@ufp.org>, "Jim Bryant" <kc5vdj@yahoo.com>, "MurrayTaylor" <taylorm@bytecraft.au.com>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FYI

Doug, in the entire history of the FreeBSD project, when given a choice
between
a better driver or code that is closed source, and a worse driver that has
open source, the FreeBSD community has never chosen the driver or code with
closed
source.  In fact I can only remember ONCE that the Project has recommended
against
freely available BSD code - and they did so in favor of GPL code, not closed
source code - and this was for the coprocessor emulator (used for 386 and
486SX chips
only)

If you never keep anything else in mind about FreeBSD, then keep this one
thing.
FreeBSD is not about closed source.  It's about freely available BSD source
that
is more free even than GPL.

If any of the WANic 4xx driver authors had ever signed an NDA or looked at the
NDA'd Imagestream code, they could never have touched the BSD driver ever
again,
without risk of contaminating the open source driver code.  We take things
like
this very seriously.

The only time that FreeBSD gets involved in closed-source code is when there
is simply NO other alternative - like in this case where the register
interface
specs are being withheld.