Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 17:36:05 +0100
From:      Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <mekanix@privat.dk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compiling non-port sources

Sometimes I want to install a piece of software not available in ports but I
usually do not get far. My "quest" usually ends right at running the
configure-script, because it's not able to locate the various libs (png,
jpeg, qt, gtk etc. etc.). Sometimes I'm able to parse a
--with-missinglib=/where/it/is. But all in all They don't compile/configure
out of the box.

Is there some tips on how to get non-bsd-aware sources to behave?

Presently I'm trying to compile scribus (http://web2.altmuehlnet.de/fschmid/)
which fails to locate png, jpeg and qt. I got it to locate jpeg, but png is
still in the dark. Qt is a puzzle it accepts
--with-qt-includes=/usr/X11R6/includes/qt2 but it still fails to load the
libraries. I've tried --with-qt-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib/ and other, but with
no luck.

Any help tips would be apreciated.

Bjarne