Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 1995 11:43:19 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        cimaxp1!jb@werple.net.au (John Birrell)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jb@cimlogic.com.au
Subject:   Re: A quick vote on pthreads PLZ

> > would it do with all the places that return a pointer to static storage?
>
> These fall into three categories:
>
> (1) Functions which have a *_r() reentrant equivalent like readdir_r which
>     have extra arguments so that static storage is avoided.
> (2) Functions which malloc memory and return that instead. The MIT code does
>     this in places.

Return the static storage, as normal, unless create_thread() has been
called, in which case, malloc the storage instead.

> (3) Dunno what the solution is.

No matter what it's supposed to be, what it *will* be is a static storage
compatability hack.

Static storage returns need to be deprecated.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.