Date:      Thu, 08 Apr 2004 23:13:56 +0200
From:      Remko Lodder <remko@elvandar.org>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        Brian <freebsd@networkartistry.com>
Subject:   Re: remote install of freebsd via ssh

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Brian wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>Is there a way (or what is the best way) for installing freebsd remotely?  I
>>have a nontechnical person at the site that can put in a cd or enter a few
>>commands, but the thought of walking through a full install via the phone is
>>not fun.  I would prefer to be able to use ssh for configuring.  Any
>>suggestions would be a great help.
>

> Pick up a webcam and aim it at the screen? :)

:-) that might be an option,

Some people prefer Terminals, if your system support a terminal (serial
connection) perhaps you can use a terminal server. You can connect to it
through tcp/ip use the appropiate port and end up at the sytems console.
We use it at some of our Sun machines to get remote access to it when
something goes terribly wrong.

Note that that aint secure if not firewalled etc.

Also it might happen that you don't have these options, then the advice
about the HardDisk is also a good one (never thought of that yet :-))

Cheers

--

Kind regards,

Remko Lodder