Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2001 22:31:10 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using a larger block size on large filesystems

At 6:11 PM -0500 12/7/01, Louis A. Mamakos wrote:
>While we're gonna be changing the default file system characteristics,
>how about having sysinstall create a reasonable size root file system
>for today's disks?  I think that if we're installing on a multi-gigabyte
>disk, a 200MB root file system isn't imposing very much.

I definitely think it should be larger, but 200 is a bit higher than I
would push for.  I'd feel a bit more comfortable with the default at
100 or 120 meg.  I would not vote against 200 meg, but if it were me
doing the pushing for the change, then I would be pick a number more
like 100 meg.

Any number between 100 meg and 250 meg would be fine with me, though.
The current default is too low, and it's really painful when one runs
out of disk space in the middle of a 'make installkernel'...