Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 1998 01:06:36 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Khetan Gajjar <khetan@link.freebsd.os.org.za>
To:        Kwoody <kwoody@citytel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail...

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Kwoody wrote:

>Sheesh, easy enough to do. Think I mostly thought it was "hard" :)

:-)

>Only thing is now that I think about it is I have a 95 box running RC5
>and when it runs out of buffers to process it will send a DNS request to my
>FreeBSD machine and then ppp dials out and establishes a connection to
>flush the completeted blocks, and get new ones.

Doesn't the RC5-client have an option to download blah number of keys,
and then you should be able to run it on a non-connected pair
of machines ?

>By blocking a DNS request like this I would think that now it wont work
>automatically. My FreeBSD machine works the same way. I have RC5 running
>as a process also.

No, it shouldn't. What you *can* do is tell the RC5 client (if it
doesn't support the above scenario) to use a proxy server (remotely
or locally). Don't set a dfilter for that, and it will dial out
(or it should :-)

Never tried it myself.

>So to block a DNS request for certain things but not for others from
>specific clients would be what I want to do. Any input there?

(less than nothing)
---
Khetan Gajjar (!kg1779)   khetan@iafrica.com (w); khetan@os.org.za (h)
http://www.os.org.za/~khetan  | Finger: khetan@chain.freebsd.os.org.za
UUNET Internet Africa Support | FreeBSD enthusiast-www2.za.freebsd.org
The system requirements said Windows 95 or better; so I installed FreeBSD.