Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:44:37 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        leegold <leegold@fastmail.fm>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X will not start as root - need help

i have a Genius NetScroll, but it should work with your mouse just fine.

# leegold@fastmail.fm / 2002-10-24 01:07:52 +0000:
> 1.
> $ grep mouse /etc/rc.cont
> moused_enable="YES"

    if you haven't tinkered with /etc/defaults/rc.conf (which you should
    not), you're fine here.

> 2.
> $ dmesg
> psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
> psm0: model IntelliMouse, device ID 3
>
> 3.
> my x config. file:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>
>     Identifier      "Mouse1"
>     Driver  "mouse"
>     Option "Protocol"    "MouseSystems"

    s/MouseSystems/auto/ (replace "MouseSystems" with "auto")

    there were many people on the lists (including myself) with this
    problem. the shared secret seems to be that the only working
    combination to get mouse to work is

    moused_type="auto" in /etc/rc.conf (it has this value by default)
    Option    "Protocol"    "auto" in /etc/X11/XF86Config

    go figure.

>     Option "Device"      "/dev/sysmouse"
>
>     Option "ClearDTR"
>     Option "ClearRTS"

    erm, these are something special needed for MS mice, right? (haven't
    found anything in either XF86Config(5) or XFree86(1).

> EndSection

    oh, btw, two nitpicks:

    1) the xf86config-generated XF86Config file is 5% configuration, 10%
    empty lines and 85% comments. that's fine for editing, but you sent
    quite an amount of junk to lots of people. getting rid of the noise
    is easy, so there's no point in avoiding it. i use this script for
    just this purpose:

    ------8<------
    #!/bin/sh

    case $1 in
        "-s")
            pattern='s/#.*$//;/^[[:space:]]*$/d'
            shift
            ;;
           *)
            pattern='/^[[:space:]]*#.*$/d'
            ;;
    esac

    sed -E $pattern $1

    put it in your ~/bin (I call it "decom").

    2) your mailer wraps lines when it shouldn't (could be a pilot
    error). that's not so much of a problem in this case, but could
    completely ruin the email if you were sending a patch. it will be
    better if you send files as attachments.

    let us know if the new setup works.

--
If you cc me or take the list(s) out completely I'll most likely
ignore your message.