Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2003 19:21:02 -0300
From:      "Han Hwei Woo" <hhwoo@argosy.ca>
To:        "John DeStefano" <deesto@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mask IP:port with Domain Name

Sorry, I missed the original reply to this. What you can do is setup an
extra redirect to the URL. i.e. have your redirection service point to a
different URL (vhost) that still points to your machine. Since it seems you
do not have a lot of flexibility with DNS, it would probably be easiest to
run this vhost on a different port. Then, on your vhost, setup your own http
redirect http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_alias.html#redirect to your
actual site with the URL you want your clients to see, and the client's
browser should then show this URL. The port will still show up using this
method, but this is the only way to go if you want your own domain to show
up without paying for any additional services.

The masking method dyndns uses, is to essentially serve up a frameset, and
redirect to your URL through a frame, thus the original URL is what will
show in the client's address bar. Dyndns charges for this service however,
and you will not be able to use it with your own domain name unless you buy
their custom dns service.

Hope this answers your questions.