Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 05:12:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, angussf@geoapps.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Judge: "Gates Was Main Culprit"

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, David Schwartz wrote:

:> At 02:37 PM 11/10/1999 -0700, Angus Scott-Fleming wrote:
:>
:> >I think the whole computer business is in Big Trouble - once the
:> >government steps in and starts telling us how to run our businesses,
:> >innovation will drop to a crawl as bus.people try to 2nd-guess the govt
:> >regulators.
:>
:> Nonsense. What the government seeks to rein in is not software design
:> but rather anti-competitive business practices.
:
:	The problem is that the majority of these practices were the same types of
:practices that every software design company practices every day. And the
:motive is always to make one's own product better and to increase its market
:share.

So?  Most software companies aren't an OS monopoly using that position to
force their non OS products down the throats of the world.  The DoJ isn't
using Joe Programmers email against microsoft, they're using Chairman
Gates', and his cadre of president's and vice-president's mail against
them.  If they don't represent the reasons and motives behind M$, who the
hell does?  I think it's about time the M$ juggernaut ran up against an
opponent with even more money and resources than it has.  It's not like
IBM or AT&T could threaten them anymore.  M$ has summarily bought or
killed anyone who threatened their apoeration in any aspect.  This is not
a single case, but a pattern of repeated predatory behaviour.  It's not
illegal to be a monopoly.  It is illegal to abuse that position.  End of
story.

Jamie Bowden

--

If we've got to fight over grep, sign me up.  But boggle can go.
	-Ted Faber (on Hasbro's request for removal of /usr/games/boggle)