Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 1996 15:40:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jamie Clark <jamie@eri.erinet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions mail service <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: BootMgr a virus?

On Mon, 2 Dec 1996, Jamie Clark wrote:

> I have FreeBSD 2.1.5-RELEASE and Windows 95 on my system.  I have been
> experiencing some crashes in Win95 that CrashSheild of WinProbe caught
> with increasing frequency.  I had been downloading some software from the
> net and thought maybe a virus had slipped down the line.

This is very unusual if not impossible since Win95 write-protects the boot
sector.

You might check Control Panels -> System -> Performance and see what Win95
has to say.  AFAIK I've never heard of any Win95 problems with BootEasy.

If you're really worried then use the DOS command FDISK /MBR to remove
BootEasy, then use a DOS 6.2 floppy and reinstall BootEasy (take
tools/bootinst.exe and boot.bin off the CD onto the hard disk, then run it
from there).  Check your boot floppy before you use it in case there is
something running around -- you wouln't want to immediately reinfect the
system.