Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 03:04:18 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@ontario.mooseriver.com>
To:        zaph0d <zaph0d@abatis.sweb.com>
Cc:        Arturas Sileikis <art@el.vtu.lt>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD K6-2, K6-3

On Wed, Apr 14, 1999 at 05:40:41AM -0400, zaph0d wrote:
> Just for reference,
>
> 	I've got a Cyrix k6-2 233 running 3.1 - and it preforms great,
> except sometimes it spontaneously reboots, and other times just freezes.
> There are no error messages from the kernels, as best I can tell. I also
> do not have a dumpdev set.

I have noticed the same problem with the AMD K6-2 233. While building a
number of servers for an ISP I had a lot of trouble with the
233s. Depending on how I jumpered the motherboard for bus speed and
multiplier it either spontaneously rebooted, refused to reboot from the
"reboot" command, or would not compile anything without gcc getting a sig
11. When I would replace the 233 with a 300 the system would work
flawlessly. I suspect that the fact that clock speed is not an even multiple
of the bus speed causes a problem with some motherboards. I suggest that
that you either change motherboards or go with a K6-2 300. Mine has been
working flawlessly for 6 months now.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 3.1
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses