Date:      Fri, 03 Dec 1999 20:39:03 -0800
From:      Joe Park <joepark@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   hard drive crash...please help

Hello,

Thanks for response, Sheldon, but I still couldn't resolve my problem. : (
I checked cables, cleared all flags for the wdc1, but my hard drive still
crashes when I tried to cp big files, multiple files, etc.  I have my old
disk at first IDE controller as master, my new hard drive is at second
controller as master with CD rom as slave.  It works fine if I just use it
to deal with small files.  The hard disk becomes pretty hot but I think
it's within its limit.  When it boots up, one of the message was "...
warning : IDE controller timing not set"   Is that related to my problem at
all?  And how can I set that timing?

Oh, and when I said my hard disk crashes I mean, my system lockes up,
becoming unresponsive for infinite time.

Thansk for help.

Joe

(Below are reply from Sheldon, and my original message with some setting
from my box)

*****************

On Wed, 01 Dec 1999 22:52:46 PST, Joe Park wrote:
 > I just added second hard disk for the first time with sysinstall, and it
 > keep crashes when I try to move or copy from my old disk to new one. It
 > works fine for relatively small files (few megs) but when I try to move or
 > copy big files, say 20 meg, or file structure with subdirectory, it just
 > crashes and I have to restart and do fsck -p on it.
FreeBSD never "just crashes". :-)
Seriously, the box either
1) rebooted spontaneously
2) Locked up / froze, becoming unresponsive for X minutes
3) entered a panic
The (1) and (2) options may or may not have left you with clues in
/var/log/messages. The (3) option will have printed a clue to the
console and may have left a crashdump on disk if you have your box set
up to take crashdumps.
Without any more information to go on, all I can offer you is:
1) Check your cabling and jumpering for the new drive.
2) Remove the flags on the wdc1 controller in your kernel
config.
Ciao,
Sheldon.

****************

Hello,
I just added second hard disk for the first time with sysinstall, and it
keep crashes when I try to move or copy from my old disk to new one. It
works fine for relatively small files (few megs) but when I try to move or
copy big files, say 20 meg, or file structure with subdirectory, it just
crashes and I have to restart and do fsck -p on it. I am a newbie and any
suggestions would be appreciated. My new hard disk is IBM ATA66 13.5 gig.
(I don't have ATA66 but should be fine). Following is some messages from
fdisk and disklabel :

C833307-A# fdisk wd2
******* Working on device /dev/rwd2 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=2004 heads=210 sectors/track=63 (13230 blks/cyl)
Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=2004 heads=210 sectors/track=63 (13230 blks/cyl)
Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
start 0, size 26520480 (12949 Meg), flag 80 (active)
beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 0;
end: cyl 1023/ sector 63/ head 209
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 4 is:
<UNUSED>
C833307-A# disklabel -r wd2
# /dev/rwd2c:
type: ESDI
disk: wd2s1
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 255
sectors/cylinder: 16065
cylinders: 1650
sectors/unit: 26520480
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0 # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0 # milliseconds
drivedata: 0
8 partitions:
# size offset fstype [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
b: 524288 0 swap # (Cyl. 0 - 32*)
c: 26520480 0 unused 0 0 # (Cyl. 0 - 1650*)
e: 25996192 524288 4.2BSD 1024 8192 16 # (Cyl. 32*- 1650*)
And following is meseges from dmesg :
io0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16550A
fdc0 at 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa
fdc0: FIFO enabled, 8 bytes threshold
fd0: 1.44MB 3.5in
wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 flags 0xb0ffb0ff on isa
ide_pci: generic_dmainit 01f0:0: warning, IDE controller timing not set
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <FUJITSU MPB3032ATU>, LBA, DMA, 32-bit, multi-block-16
wd0: 3093MB (6335280 sectors), 785 cyls, 128 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 flags 0x90ff90ff on isa
wdc1: unit 0 (wd2): <IBM-DJNA-371350>, LBA, 32-bit, multi-block-16
wd2: 12949MB (26520480 sectors), 1650 cyls, 255 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc1: unit 1 (atapi): <CD-ROM CDU77E/1.2g>, removable, accel, dma, iordy
acd0: drive speed 689KB/sec, 128KB cache

I enabled LBA mode and 32 bit transfer for the IDE controller that has this
new disk. I enabled DMA too but the disk hangs when OS tries to mount it,
so I disabled it. My first disk is working with LBA, 32 bit transfer and
DMA mode. Any reason why my new disk don't work with DMA? Is it more
advantageous to use LBA mode? I noticed number of cylinders and heads from
fdisk is different from manufactors setting -- is this because I'm using
LBA mode?
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thank you.
Joe Park