Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 19:07:06 -0700
From:      "Rev. Joe Doyle" <doyle@nebcorp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Change root shell

On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 06:28:24PM -0700, Jamie Norwood wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 06:00:35PM -0700, Todd Backman wrote:
> >
> > I've been told it's a no-no to change root's shell to bash in the event
> > that /usr does not get mounted. 'exec bash' will only load bash for that
> > session and goes away after you log out...
>
> I've always made it a point to install tcsh in /bin so that I can use it as
> root.

	Of course, one could also cp bash into somewhere on your root
partition.

> Besides, correct me if I am wrong, but in a panic situation starting a shell,
> it defaults to SH no matter what /etc/password says. So why does it matter
> which shell you have it set to use in normal usage?

	Even that is true (I don't know; I know it's not on Solaris or
IRIX or Linux), there are times when you need a statically linked shell
and other utilities (cp, especially) in a non-panic'd situation (if you
accidently remove some librairies, for example).  Don't rely on mechanisms
like "automatic use of sh when the shit hits the fan" for your safety net.

-Joe