Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 17:33:27 +0100 (MET)
From:      Thomas Schuerger <schuerge@wjpserver.CS.Uni-SB.DE>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Harddisk problems

> I'd guess that these are two bad sectors, not four, but I don't
> understand the offsets: in the first case, it's 47, in the second case
> 57.  Could it be you have copied this incorrectly?  Are these always
> the same sectors?  If so, you can be pretty sure that there really is
> a problem with them.  You should also check the output in
> /var/log/messages.

I used another UDMA cable to connect the drives to one IDE
controller each, made world (and therefore used the updated ATA
driver) and everything works fine now.

I don't have the slightest idea what may have been the problem.

> > I have tried formatting the whole partition with Windows and that
> > worked fine.
>
> Windows can't format hard disks.

:-)

> > Then I used newfs to reinstall UFS on it (which went much too fast
> > for actually formatting the disk), something like 30 seconds with
> > FreeBSD compared to 20 minutes with Windows (note that using Windows
> > I formatted the whole partition, whereas using FreeBSD I just
> > newfs'ed the 19 GB slice).
>
> Correct, newfs is not a format program.  I don't know what Windows was
> doing; possibly it was doing a verify pass, but then it should have
> found the bad sectors.

It should have. But as it may really have been a FreeBSD driver
problem, it may be that the drive worked correctly using Windows.

> > Is there a better way to actually check the slice for errors or do a
> > "format" that does a verify on the formatted data?
>
> Possibly your BIOS will have a format utility.  Otherwise you need to
> find one from the vendor; I don't know if IBM supplies one.  But if
> the disk has bad sectors which aren't automatically remapped, you
> should return it under warranty.
>
> > I'd like to know whether the disk really has some hard errors on it
> > or if perhaps the filesystem or ATA driver cannot handle such big
> > partition.
>
> ufs doesn't have any problems with much larger file systems; we've
> seen file systems on Vinum with over 100 MB.  I don't think that this
> is a problem with the driver, but again, the log messages and the
> offsets will help decide whether it's a hardware problem or not.

Well the problems are gone now...

Ciao,
Thomas Schürger.   http://www.menden.augustin.de