Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 2009 09:57:30 -0400
From:      APseudoUtopia <apseudoutopia@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Jails: /bin/tcsh: Permission Denied

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 4:08 AM, APseudoUtopia <apseudoutopia@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey list,
>
> I'm setting up jails on my system. I started with a httpd jail for
> nginx and php to run in. I used ezjail to create it. I went through
> all the steps, and got a jail setup and working. I've logged in and
> out several times and installed a couple ports within the jail. I then
> added a non-privileged user by running "adduser" as root. However,
> that is when the problem came up. For some reason, I cannot switch to
> the unprivileged user. The shell is giving me a "Permission Denied"
> error.

[snip]

I have solved the problem with the help of Google and this thread:
https://elektropost.org/ezjail/threads.html#00263

The permissions on the HOST for /usr/jails/httpd and
/usr/jails/basejail were set incorrectly. When I installed the jail, I
used umask 0077. Those jail directories needed to be chmod'ed 755.
Everything works successfully now.

Thanks very much for the tips, suggestions, and overall help. If I
hadn't found that ezjail mailing list thread, I would've been ripping
my hair out for days.