Date:      Sat, 7 Apr 2001 11:11:01 -0500
From:      Scott Johnson <sjohn@airlinksys.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VPN ?

Quoth Alessandro de Manzano on Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 05:39:08PM +0200:
> Hi!
>
> I've a couple of 4.2-stable machines on the Internet, both with static
> public IPs, so I would try to configure a VPN between them.
>
> Is there a tutorial / how-to / examples somewhere ?
> I guess I should use the /dev/tunX devices, but how ?
>
> Any hint is welcome! :-)
>
> Thanks a lot!!
If both boxes have public IP addresses, there's no need for a tunnel. Just
use IPSEC transport mode. See

	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ipsec.html
	http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/ipsec/
	http://www.daemonnews.org/200101/ipsec-howto.html

If you want to connect two networks with public IP addresses, use tunnel
mode as described in the above. If the networks are behind NAT, try this
approach using a gif tunnel:

	http://freebsd.cg.nu/ipsec.html

I've also used vtun to create a tunnel over UDP through my Linksys BEFSR41
at home, which is pretty much the same but uses vtund and a tun device. In
your situation, you shouldn't have to do that.

P.S.: Google is your friend.
--
                                 Scott Johnson
                          System/Network Administrator