Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2000 05:52:55 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        marko@tellurian.com (Marko Ruban)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD questions), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Routing issue with cable modem

> I guess no one knew the answer to my original question about getting RCN
> cable modem (with analog upstream line dialup) to work.  So here's a
> somewhat simplified question.  I narrowed the problem down to routing.
> Cable modem does dial out when I try to ping something on it's subnet
> (10.17.56.###), however it does not respond to any broadcast ARP queries
> about location of DNS server.

[ ... ]

> P.S.S. On a side note: it would be very interesting to know how MSWin98
> does it's network setup, that it has no trouble using the modem.

Have you tried typing "route print" into an MSDOS window, and
having Windows simply tell you what its network configuration?

I suspect you are incorrectly setting up an asymetric route,
since you say that you have zero upchannel through the cable
line, and must use an analog dialup, instead...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.