Date:      Mon, 02 May 2005 12:16:08 +0900
From:      Joel <rees@ddcom.co.jp>
To:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What is ata2 ?

> > > Eventually I would like to achieve this:
> > > I have another, very old, PC with following
> > > configuration:
> > >   IDE/0 (on motherboard) master and slave HDs
> > >   IDE/1 (on motherboard) -broken-
> > >
> > > I like to use this soundcard/IDE controller for
> > > adding a CDrom to this very old PC. The OS of
> > > this PC is 4-Stable.
> >
> > I don't think it'll work for that - too bastardized.
> > I don't know what they did but they might have
> > changed the pinout or something so that it
> > was only compatible with Creative CD-ROMs. In the
> > best case, if you got it to work, it would be
> > deathly slow.
>
> Too bad, as the soundcard itself seems to be
> recognized properly by 5-Stable:

Well, one question might be how fast you need it to be. Another, of
course, is how the time spent trying to bring it up and the education
gained thereby would compare with just requisitioning a card for the
borked motherboard. Yet another question could be how much the lab wants
to invest on a slow motherboard with broken curcuitry (which might also
depend on what borked the on-board ATA controller).

ATA controllers can be pretty cheap, particularly if you don't need to
boot from them or build raid on them. Motherboards aren't necessarily
all that expensive, either, especially if the application doesn't demand
fast response.

>  # kldload snd_sb16
>  # kldstat
>  Id Refs Address    Size     Name
>   1    9 0xc0400000 275764   kernel
>   2    2 0xc0676000 18a44    miibus.ko
>   3    1 0xc068f000 6b98     if_rl.ko
>   4    1 0xc0696000 b1b8     random.ko
>   5    1 0xc1118000 4000     snd_sb16.ko
>   6    2 0xc111c000 18000    sound.ko
>   7    1 0xc113b000 4000     snd_sbc.ko
>
>  # cat /dev/sndstat
>  FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
>  Installed devices:
>  pcm0: <SB16 DSP 4.13> at io 0x220 irq 5 drq 1:5
>        bufsz 4096d kld snd_sb16 (1p/1r/0v channels
>        duplex default)
>
> Anyway, if I buy a PCI IDE controller, would that
> work easily with FreeBSD (4- or 5-Stable alike) ?

If you do buy a controller, check the hardware compatibility list and
also check that the board works with a slow, older motherboard.

My impression is that support for some boards is not compiled in, so you
may be faced with compiling your own kernel. (If I understand the
handbook correctly.)

I am faced with exactly this question, but I have a lot of other
problems with higher priority, so I've been dodging it.

--
Joel Rees   <rees@ddcom.co.jp>
digitcom, inc.   $B3t<02q<R%G%8%3%`(B