Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 1997 18:22:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why FIONREAD has no dual for write ?

> What do we gain from this ?
>
> We have a 20 years old interface (FIONREAD..) and I can understand that
> at that time some needs (e.g. synchronizing streams) were simply not
> there. Now we have new requirements and apps, and it would be appropriate
> to work on a common interface which is as device independent as
> possible.

IMO, the canonically "correct" thing to do would be to read and write
using a non-blocking descriptor.  This eliminates the multiple reader/
write buffer consumption races.

It's short, it's elegant, and you can still use "select()" for the
readability/writeability to avoid turning the program into a polling
loop.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---