Date:      Mon, 05 Mar 2007 15:34:38 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Linux emulation instability

Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> On Sunday 04 March 2007 06:27 pm, Doug Barton wrote:
>> jkim,
>>
>> The attached change to sys/i386/linux/linux_machdep.c causes my
>> linux emulation to spontaneously reboot my machine (no panic, just
>> BOOM) whenever I use the linux version of the thunderbird beta
>> (that I'm using right now to type this). I built a system from
>> sources right before this change and everything is normal, then
>> when I add this change it becomes unstable.
>
> That is very strange.
>
>> I'm currently in the process of building an up to date -current
>> without this change to see if that's stable for me, but I thought
>> you'd want to know ASAP.
>
> Please go ahead and let me know.

I was in the process of doing that while running what should have been
a "safe" kernel (before the change I referenced above) when I got the
same symptom again, using the linux firefox caused the system to
freeze (the more it happens, I get variations on a total freeze or a
spontaneous reboot). This led me to think that it might be something
else.

I've been using ULE and libthr, so I decided to turn those off and see
if it makes a difference. I first tried rebooting without the
libmap.conf entry for libthr (but still on a ULE kernel), and it
actually locked up faster than it had been doing. I then updated to
the latest sources and built a new kernel with 4BSD, and I've been
using it with the linux mail client for about half an hour now without
any problems so far.

So, this leads me to the obvious question, are you testing your
changes with ULE and/or libthr? I should probably add the detail that
I have a Core 2 Duo processor running i386 and SMP.

If there is anything further I can do to help please let me know.
Meanwhile I'm going to try running with the 4BSD kernel for a while
and I'll let you know if it locks up again.

Doug