Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:56:28 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        "Crist J . Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD@jovi.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG, bug-followup@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/33904: secure mode bug

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 21:03:03 PST, "Crist J . Clark" wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 03:03:42PM -0500, FreeBSD@jovi.net wrote:
> > It would help to document or fix date/ntpdate/ntpd/...
>
> ntpdate(8) and ntpd(8) are contributed software. As far as I can tell,
> FreeBSD uses "virgin" imports. There is no local customization of the
> code. Maintaining local modifications to code maintained by outside
> vendors is expensive and therefore needs a lot of justification.

And that's not the point. :-)

Basically, we're being asked to compensate for poor conduct on the
part of an administrator who changed the securelevel without knowing
what he was doing.  We can't compensate for poor change control in our
documentation.

This is akin to documenting in the manual pages of _every_ utility that
writes to some file in the /var hierarchy, that the /var filesystem must
not be mounted read-only.

Let's just close the PR already.

Ciao,
Sheldon.