Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 1995 16:43:23 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        announce@freefall.cdrom.com
Cc:        pds@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Announcing 2.0-950412-SNAP!

[Peter:  Please see that this goes to c.u.b.f.a - thanks!]

Currently on:

	ftp://freefall.cdrom.com/pub/FreeBSD/2.0-950412-SNAP

And soon to be on:

	ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.0-950412-SNAP

As soon as I can make some room.  Mirror sites may wish to remove the
older 2.0-950210-SNAP if they still have it and allow 950412-SNAP to
supercede it (I will adjust the symlinks in it to point to the newer
distribution).

This distribution should signify a new high point in the general
stability of 2.1-development, combined with many advanced features
slated for 2.1.  I hope everyone enjoys it!

>From the README:

---

Latest snapshot from April 12th, 1995.

WHATS NEW [not a complete list]
-------------------------------
o Even more bugs fixed.
o Driver for Matsushita CDROM ("Sound blaster" CDROM) in second revision - it
  now supports audio commands.
o Driver for Adaptec 294x improved.
o FDDI network interface support (DEC cards) improved.
o Support for DEC 100Mbit "FAST" ethernet cards (DE 500-XA).
o /etc files revamped fairly significantly - most customization done through
  one file now, /etc/sysconfig.
o Performance improvements to networking code (connection information now
  hashed rather than being stored in a linear linked list).
o Package code improved - now supports package dependencies.
o New version of "libforms".

KNOWN PROBLEMS
--------------
If you want to run programs linked under 2.0 (this includes the XFree86 3.1.1
distribution), you will need the file libgcc.so.261.0, which you'll find in
this directory.  Install it in /usr/lib.

The hostname still isn't being set properly in /etc/sysconfig for some
reason - you should edit this file after the initial installation and
customize it for your system.  The comments in the file should make the
fields you need/want to change pretty self-explanatory.

Comments to:	current@freebsd.org.
Bugs to:	bugs@freebsd.org 	use the "send-pr" command

To subscribe to the "current", "hackers", "questions" or any of the
other FreeBSD mailing lists, send mail to "majordomo@freebsd.org" and
say "help" somewhere in the text of your message.  For other general
FreeBSD information, send mail to "info@freebsd.org" or feed your WEB
browser the URL:	http://www.freebsd.org/

Please identify the version of this snapshot (950322-SNAP) as what
you're running when reporting problems or making comments.
---

Thanks, as usual, to all the regular suspects and fond hopes that this
will get some of the people who've been having trouble installing
previous snapshots FreeBSD off the ground!

						Jordan