Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 10:02:00 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andrew Reilly <reilly@zeta.org.au>
To:        lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Worldstone Continued...

On 18 Mar, Hugh LaMaster wrote:
> Then, you might see that number drop even further.  The goal, in my
> mind, is do to a complete buildworld and installworld in less than
> an hour.

It would be interesting to see a "speed of light" figure for
buildworld.  I note that there are some people on this list with access
to machines with seriously big DRAM (.5G?) on their systems.  I doubt
that any one compile operation exercises more than a few Meg, with
-pipe.

Does anyone have a system that can attempt a buildworld with src and
obj in mfs, mounted noasync (if that makes any difference)?

(It may not be important.  It certainly appears that the 1:20 figure is
getting pretty close to being a completely CPU-limited process.)

Has anyone on the Alpha port project timed a buildworld? (If the world
can be built there yet.)

--
Andrew

"The steady state of disks is full."