Date:      Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:27:40 -0500
From:      <bob@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "James Csoka" <jimcsoka@dominionfirstmortgage.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Blocking an individual email address

> > Jim Csoka wrote:
> > > No...I ran make maps, as well as make install for the
blacklist
> feature,
> > > and make restart.
> > >
> > > However, here is something interesting.  When I access my
> corporate
> > > email via openwebmail, it functions as I would expect....you
> cannot send
> > > or receive to the given address.  However, when using Outlook
> Express
> > > (internal mail client at work), you can still send mail to the
> address I
> > > am trying to block.
> > >
> > > Why should this be so?
> > >
> > Are you sure Outlook Express is configured to use your FreeBSD
> server
> > for SMTP? Send an email to yourself using Outlook Express then
> look at
> > the message source and check the headers to verify which SMTP
> server
> > is sending the message.
> >
> > --
> > Ken Stevenson
> > Allen-Myland Inc.
> >

> Yes, I'm sure.  It is the incoming and outgoing SMTP server.  It's
> the only
> one we have.
>
> -Jim

> Yes that may be the only one you have, but that does not stop the
> user from configuring their outlook express from using their
> personal email account at their ISP. To stop this you can add
> firewall rules to deny all LAN traffic out to ports 25 & 110 by
> coding the private LAN ip address range in the rule "from" option.
> Since your SMTP service is on the gateway box where the firewall
is
> your outbound port 25 will pass because your using the public ip
> address or if that is not the case then just add a rule before the
> deny rule to pass your SMTP LAN ip address.

************************************

Understood.  However, most everyone here in my office (a mortgage
company of
about 25 people) can barely even spell the word computer much less
use one
effectively.  And, aside from that, I am running these tests from my
windows
client, so I can verify that it is configured correctly for the
purpose of
running these tests.  Although I wish it were as simple as someone
using a
different SMTP server....it would make my life easier :P

Have you physically used this offending persons work PC during off
hours
and investigated just how they have their outlook explorer
configured???