Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:53:42 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fdescfs updates--coming to a devfs near you!

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> I must admit that I think in general that /dev/std{in,out,err} and /dev/fd
> is bogus.  It looks like something which happened "because we can" more
> than something which has a legitimate need.

You think adding a hack to every program to support "-" to mean
stdout/stdin is better?  It seems to be that saying "/dev/stdin" when
you mean stdin is better than saying "-" and hoping the application
handles that correctly.  Of course many programs will read stdin by
default, and write stdout by default, but that doesn't help when you
want to read more than one file, one of which is stdin.

> If anything I would propose we ditch it...

And break loads of scripts at the same time?

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D