Date:      Sat, 05 Oct 2002 23:31:37 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Daniel Flickinger <attila@hun.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        FreeBSD-CURRENT <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP! GEOM as default in 5 days... GEOM does not find da0a; goes to rootmount>

    Well, I pulled a fresh src tree slice for 0600 GMT 05
    Oct which would be three hours and 13 minutes before
    your reply to me.  I got the same errors including
    missing pam files, etc. Then I ran a make clean,
    cleandir, and cleandepend as I had not toasted the obj
    tree --and ran it again. Same errors. (cont interlined)

Sent: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 11:13:29 +0200 by Poul-Henning Kamp:

+ In message <20021005081850.zmEf69968@hun.org>, Daniel Flickinger writes:
+
+ >    I will note that my loader is dated 27 Sep since there
+ >    has not been an even close to complete buildworld since
+ >    then;
+
+ Something in your tree is not OK then, because I have compiled
+ buildworld many times since the 27th, last time just a few
+ hours ago:

    No, not unless John Polstra's cvsup has major problems
    and I don't consider that too likely; secondly, I
    usually pull a fresh one every fourth time (it only
    costs me 34 minutes and would be less if some $%^*
    switch at SLC or upstream wasn't throttling the line to
    50-70KB/sec --I have a dedicated 6mbs channel for my
    uplink to the Cisco switch, and two shared 9mbs ATM
    links for the 500+ km to SLC.

    Ergo: I must lack the necessary toll for the magic
    troll!

    I also don't think the aic7899 ahc driver is doing me
    any favours.

+ cd /bang/src && make  buildworld TARGET_ARCH=i386  __MAKE_CONF=/dev/null \
+ > _.i386.buildworld 2>&1

    interesting... I had been using a plain vanilla make
    command, which obviously allows /etc/make.conf and
    whatever environment variables are in /etc/profile,
    but I did not have anything interesting in either.

    However, this did not change the errors. Often this is a
    question of synchronization which is best handled by a
    livetree from 'snapshots' Unfortunately, snapshots has not
    had a successful build since 17 Sep --the problem is at
    the very end, with 'release' It would be nice if the
    live trees were available --the builds got past that
    point, but snapshots is all or nothing.

    Do you have a complete live tree somewhere I could
    'fetch' or ftp? Since the errors have been continuing
    for a week, it looks like I either walk forward from
    17 Sep again, or....