Date:      Tue, 13 Sep 2016 22:38:55 +0200
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Best kind of hard drive for heavy use?

On 09/13/16 21:36, Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions wrote:

> The WD green drives are ok, as long as you don't use KDE, GNOME or a

Stay away from these in any case.

> The coders of the big desktop environments claim that WD drives are bad
> and spin down and up again and again, but this is not true.

(Speaking of WD Green, not WD in general) it is true, unless you run
their utility (DOS only!) which disables this "feature".
However the drives will tend to fail in a short time all the same.

> IOW the green WD drives do exactly what is required by the EU
> Regulation

???

> just some software is bad programmed. Don't use this
> software. nOt the drives, the software is bad.

Don't use the drives: no point in spinning up and down; besides, as I
said, I had 4 of them and even if I disabled this brain damage, they all
died within one year.

  bye
	av.