Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 2004 14:40:48 -0400
From:      Steve Shorter <steve@nomad.lets.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   vnode_pager_putpages errors and DOS?

Howdy!

	FreeBSD 4-10

	I have some machines that run customers cgi stuff.
These machines have started to hang and become unresponsive.
At first I thought it was a hardware issue, but I discovered in
a cyclades log the following stuff that got logged to the
console which explains the cause of the system hangs/failures.

vnode_pager_putpages: residual I/O 65536 at 347
vnode_pager_putpages: I/O error 28]
vnode_pager_putpages: residual I/O 65536 at 285]

	Zillions of them.

	The only way to recover the machine is to power cycle
it.

	From what I can tell from google etc.. and someone elses
experience it is probably the consequence of someone filling
up /var/tmp or something.

	Should a non root user program be able to DOS
a machine like this? or What is the cause and/or fix for this?

	thanx - steve

	"The age of the Internet has a right to its own music."

		http://www.linuxsuite.org