Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 15:08:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Peter Karlsson <dat95pkn@mds.mdh.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Still having problems with FreeBSD

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Peter Karlsson wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I reinstalled FreeBSD as of earlier advice, but I still have problems. This
> time, it locates the kernel and boots, but it's unable to locate the root
> file system.
>
> * "Boot default" is set to 1:wd(1,a)kernel
> * Booting fails with:
>   "changing root device to wd1s3a
>    panic: cannot mount root"
>
> The FreeBSD partition resides in what Linux calls /dev/hdc3 (third partition
> of secondary IDE master),
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is the problem.  And here is the solution:

If you get the message:
panic: Cannot mount root

while booting and FreeBSD is installed on a disk on the
secondary IDE controller,

1.  Restart and type "1:wd(0,a)/kernel" at the Boot: prompt to start
    the system.

2.  Rebuild your kernel, making one of the following changes to your
    kernel config file (NOT BOTH):

    a. Change the 'config' line to read:

       config kernel root on wd2

    OR

    b. Rename the second disk to wd1 in the kernel config (comment out the
       original wd1 line and change the wd2 line to read wd1, leaving all
       other parameters unchanged).

Install the new kernel and you're set to go.  If you don't know how to build
a kernel, see the FreeBSD Handbook at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook.