Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 2003 22:48:22 -0800
From:      "Jonas Fornander" <jonas@netwood.net>
To:        <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Mirroring/load-balance two servers

Does anyone know if there is a "simple" way to mirror two servers
without spending $$$$$ on hardware? I'm NOT talking about mirroring the
OS and the files, I'm talking about sending http requests to a second
server if the first server is down/un-reachable. This is sometimes
referred to as load-balancing.

The second server doesn't have to be updated in realtime, it just needs
to have a fairly current version of the data files of the main server.
So, for example if the main server goes off line for any reason, then
web pages would be served up from the second server instead.

Can this be accomplished with DNS?

Jonas Fornander - System Administrator
Netwood Communications, LLC - www.netwood.net
Find out why we're better - 310-442-1530