Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 1996 07:35:54 +0100
From:      roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU (Mark Crispin)
Subject:   Re: /var/mail (was: re: Help, permission problems...)

According to Marc G. Fournier:

[Mark Crispin]
> > Let's start with the easy part: the permissions (drwxr-xr-x or 0755) on
> > /var/mail are wrong.  They should be (drwxrwxrwt or 01777); in other words,
> > "world write" with the "sticky bit".  0755 has always been wrong.

> 	The only one I didn't think of trying :(

Good. Because this is wrong. Having /var/mail 1777 opens you to various
DoS attacks. Having it 755 enables:

- use of fcntl locking,
- use of non setgid mailer

1777 has always been wrong. It is needed if:

1- dot-locking is used,
2- you need to create the folder.

1- is not a good locking scheme IMO and 2- is not needed because the folder
is created by mail.local/procmail.

> 	Non of the above...I ran 'make hierarchy' when I upgrade my FreeBS
> Mail server...they seem to believe that /var/mail shoudl be 755, it seems...
> CC'ng this to the FreeBSD Mailing list...

If imapd needs 1777 it needs to be fixed IMO.

> > 	Error creating /var/mail/foo.lock: Permission denied
> > then you need to discern why the user (probably "foo") gets a "Permission
> > denied" from the OS when he tries to create the file "/var/mail/foo.lock".

If one use imapd, then one doesn't need dot locking !

> 	Yes, sorry...I didnt' have a copy of the error message in front of
> me when I sent the email...it was meant as an approximation (a bad one it
> seems)...but it was good enough that you were able to give me the answer
> I required

Sorry, in my opinion, this is bad and broken.
--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
  FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #26: Sun Oct 27 19:39:11 MET 1996