Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 1998 03:29:14 +0100
From:      Gert Nielsen <gert@bizarre.mira.dk>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   NEC 222 & FreeBSD 2.2.1-RELEASE

Hello there stranger!

I'm a new comer to the world af FreeBSD, and I'm stil not to confident when I'm to install a FreeBSD.

But until a few hours ago I have never had any real trouble installing FreeBSD, but when I began to install FreeBSD on the actual server it is to run on, there was a problem i can't figure out.

I'm using a NEC 222 (scsi id 5, 4x speed) 3.0i, ASUS P/I-P55T2P4, Intel 150MHz CPU, Adaptec 1542CF, Seagate Medalist 1080MB (scsi id 0), Quantum Grand prix 4GB (scsi id1), Matrox Mill. 2MB, 3CCOM 590 NIC, Soundblaster 16 PNP, 32 MB RAM (EDO) and FreeBSD 2.2.1-RELEASE

After FreeBSD has waited for "scsi bus reseting" it detects the Seagate, then the Quantum, then it detects the cdrom drive. The 2 linies look like this:

(aha0:5:): "NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:222 3.0i" type 5 removeble SCSI 2
cd0(aha0:5:0:): CD-ROM Can't get the size

and when I have chosen the install media to be CDROM drive it tells me that there ain't no CDROM devices attached, and it suggest that i check that a device is attaced.
Before I installed FreeBSD I was running windows 95 and still is on the Quantum, there is no problem with the CDROM drive when running Win95, so is it because the NEC isn't supported by FreeBSD 2.2.1-RELEASE, or do you have any idea as to what it could be??

With Best Regards
Gert Nielsen
Gert@bizarre.mira.dk
ICQ UIN# 6237719