Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 2004 12:33:32 +1000
From:      Tim Robbins <tjr@freebsd.org>
To:        "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux base for amd64 must be Slackware?

On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 09:13:19PM -0500, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> Is there any particular reason why the website describing setting up
> Linux emulation for amd64 recommends using Slackware as the base?  Will
> any of the linux_base* ports work instead?

At the time it was written, the ports collection had not been updated to
deal with 32-bit Linux emulation on amd64, and Slackware was the easiest
to get started with. I assume the linux_base port works on amd64 after
David O'Brien's recent change, but I haven't gotten around to testing it
yet -- if it works, I'll update the web page suggesting that people use it
instead of tediously installing Slackware by hand.

Tim