Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:23:11 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: possible patch for implementing split DNS

Julian Elischer wrote:
> I need some processes to look elsewhere for DNS information from where
> the rest of the system looks.. This patch seems to me a simple solution.
> We over-ride where the resolver looks for resolv.conf using an
> environment variable. This would allow me to reset this to an application
> specific config file that specifies a different server.
>
> Anyone got better ways fo doing this?

Run the special processes in a jail with its own resolv.conf? My gut
reaction to your suggestion is negative, but I'm having a hard time
articulating a solid reason why.

Perhaps if you described your problem in more detail, it would be easier to
work around it, but I can't help thinking that there are better ways to
solve this problem.

Doug