Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:29:01 -0500
From:      "Simara" <simara@mail.cyberlink.com.pe>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD Roadmap and Weak Spots - A regular SysAdmin perspective

Hello my BSD fellows,

Weird subject but this is my opinion and maybe of other users/admins as
well:

Lets start with the good/thumbs up department:

1. FreeBSD is the most centralized managed OS so far (BSD Ports
centralized), no like other free or commercial operating systems, Linux is
really a mess in the regular user perspective, maybe not for gurus or
hackers but that's how I see it.

2. FreeBSD is a really stable OS, a really modular, easy to configure and
setup (for a sysadmin of course!, not really for a home user yet, a
graphical installation is on its way as we all read on this DL, maybe
included in the 5.0 branch)

3. FreeBSD is maybe the most documented OS around, having a centralized
handbook that is really good!, maintained as it should and has a lot of
resources that are really managed like a commercial company (Ok I know,
Linux doc project is good but there is no common manual to really get to
know it, a lot of how-to's, and so forth. At least 80% of the questions
asked in the DL are just pointers to the Handbook)

4. A good support for a free OS (This DL, but as an open DL there are people
that could answer more politely to newbies, there are also the really
amazing guys that save the day!)

5. A very portable and modular OS (Not as good as a mini kernel from my
personal perspective, I love QNX, but it is really good indeed and if you
glance at NetBSD it has almost been ported to Cell Phones or Regular desk
calculators, just kidding)

The Bad/Thumbs down department:

1. There is no roadmap of the OS, sorry if I didn't found it but if its
there its really hard to find!, I've read most of the docs, website and so
forth. (nobody really using the system knows what are the goals for the next
release, what long term plans...), and that is REALLY a turn down from
decision makers or people trying to invest, partners to support and
companies to get involved.

2. FreeBSD (or maybe the complete BSD family) should get their own GUI built
for BSD, I'm not saying that you kick Xf86 down the road, maybe have the
opportunity to select either of them, but if this is accomplished you could
get a lot of people on your backs congratulating and a lot of home users
migrating, I personally love to have XF86 and a lot of flavors of window
managers but enough is enough. With the new GUI we can all get rid of the
comparison to Linux and other free OS (Just like www.AtheOS.cx is doing and
it is in early development), maybe I'm wrong and there are people already
doing this but this should be mentioned in the webpage or handbook or
somewhere...

3. INNOVATION!!!!. Well *NIX has been here a long time, and you guys have
make almost perfection from the heritance but there are no new stuff besides
IPSec, Kerberos and IPV6 Support (I know Corba is there but to make corba
really compatible is a real pain you know where, been there done that), and
I really Like COM, ASP, and other things Microsoft has provided (That Corba
and JSP and PHP and others have copied just fine). I know most of you guys
don't like Microsoft, personally I think the 9x branch is a waste of time
but NT or 2000 are good from my point of view (learning curve perspective),
and please don't harass me respecting this point I made or you'll all look
like Linux MS haters that is sometimes pathetic.

Conclusion:

Please don't hate me for what I tried to explain as crystal clear as
possible, I may be wrong with most of this issues and I would like in that
case a founded perspective, I really love the OS and it could hit the market
prime time with a little extra effort (Kill that hackers-Only image)

You are all doing a great job, making the best quality piece of software
I've found, and I'm just trying to give a hand the best way I can: Feedback
from the field and personal experience, I hope I will be able to do more for
FreeBSD, and this is nothing personal and I'm not a MS follower, I just give
my opinion from what I believe that could be wrong.

Note: My employers may not have the same ideas I pointed in this E-Mail

Sincerely,

Alexandre Le Bienvenu
Computer Enthusiast since age 6