Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 19:25:18 -0800
From:      "Bart (The Good Guy) Trzynadlowski" <trzy@powernet.net>
To:        bearmaps@berkeleycs.ml.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   newbie: need help with installation and booting FBSD3.1

Hello,
	I have gone through the entire FBSD installation but it (version 3.1 of
FreeBSD) did not install properly and the boot manager didn't install so I
have deleted what did get installed. I have several questions that have not
been answered.

1) What is up with that Bootmngr installation thing? It asks me to select a
hard disk and to press "Q" at the FDISK screen so I do so and it asks me
the same thing again. I don't get it. In the end I seemed to get past it
but it never installed the boot manager.

2) What is up with all the ports and packages? I don't know what a LOT of
them do. And how come when I select a pre-installed system like "Developer"
I have to go through ALL that DEC encryption stuff? Can I install more than
one of these systems?

3) As far as ports and packages go... How do I figure out WHAT to install?
I noticed a lot of stuff like this:
emacs-<version_number>
emacs-dl-<same_version_number_as_above>

What's the difference?

What is GLIBCII (I saw something like that) and there was also a
GLIB_something_++

I have no clue what to install. But my biggest problem is the boot manager
installation, I can't figure it out :( I wish there was an alternative. The
boot manager didnt even boot once, when i rebooted it went straight to Win95.

Thanks,

Bart Trzynadlowski