Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 19:12:36 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
To:        freebsd-current <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: firewall support?

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 02:44:50PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> On (2002/07/28 09:49), Szilveszter Adam wrote:
>
> > > is firewall support built into the -current kernel or does it need to be
> > > compiled in?
> >
> > It is not in GENERIC, but you can always either compile it in, or load
> > it from a module by editing /boot/loader.conf.
>
> Beware!
>
> AFAIK, the kernel-loadable version of IPFW (ipfw.ko) defaults to deny!

Correct. But we also have ipfilter, which is also loadable... but I did
not want to be specific. If there are other questions, I will.

> Enable with care on remotely managed systems for which you do not have
> serial console access.

It's not for nothing that the first rule of firewall configuration:

"Show up!" (at the console). Many a surprise can be averted this
way...:-)

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM