Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 11:21:47 +1030
From:      Matthew Thyer <Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au>
To:        joelh@gnu.org
Cc:        c5666305@comp.polyu.edu.hk, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk munging problem with current solved

Alas there is no synchronisation between CTM and cvs.

Theoretically if you cvsupped at the same time as the person
who makes the CTM deltas and you created the .ctm_status
file yourself with the right number in it then you'd be right.

However if you cvsup 1 minute later a couple of files somewhere
in the tree may have been changed and then future CTM deltas
would fail to apply.

So no, you cannot use both CVS and CTM.

Use one or the other but not both.

Joel Ray Holveck wrote:

> > Note you will also need the last base delta for CURRENT
> > which you can download from:
> > ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CTM/src-cur/
>
> This reminds me:
>
> I noticed that it is possible to cvsup a current ctm tree from
> ctm.freebsd.org.  I expect this to be either an alternative to using a
> base delta (for instance, now that you'd have to ftp nearly 100
> deltas), or to allow you to resync a partially trashed source tree.
> However, this is missing .ctm-status, which would seem to be fairly
> important.
>
> (I'll also point out, with details that I didn't write down, that
> manually looking at deltas and figuring out where .ctm-status should
> be didn't work... I got a lot of missing stuff.)
>
> Am I doing something wrong here, or is that just something nobody's
> bothered with yet?
>
> Cheers,
> joelh
>
> --
> Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org - http://www.wp.com/piquan
>    Fourth law of programming:
>    Anything that can go wrong wi
> sendmail: segmentation violation - core dumped

 Matthew Thyer                                 Phone:  +61 8 8259 7249
 Corporate Information Systems                 Fax:    +61 8 8259 5537
 Defence Science and Technology Organisation, Salisbury
 PO Box 1500 Salisbury South Australia 5108